Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Month of Dinners-Day 2-Spaghetti

Hi all! I'm jumping online for a quick post about dinner tonight. According to my menu, we were to have pork chops, however, when we invited my sister and her boyfriend over for dinner, I decided it would probably not be the best time to cook pork chops for the first time...ever. 


Instead, I switched Tuesday and Wednesday and made it spaghetti night. I'd like to say I made everything from scratch, and one day, gosh darn it, I will, but I did doctor my sauce so I'm blogging about that.


I started with sauce from a jar (I'm a big fan of Newman's Own products. In addition to being high quality, I love that the proceeds go to charity!) and added some fresh, chopped ingredients. This is one of the ways I sneak vegetables into my husband's diet. He would NEVER eat a pepper raw (or even cooked for that matter--when I make stuffed peppers, he eats the "stuffing" and leaves the pepper) or mushrooms, and he usually hates tomatoes. When they're hidden in his dinner though, he loves it! (Is this what being a mom is going to be like? I wonder...)
I also added some lean ground turkey that was cooked with Italian seasoning. The end result...a thick, meaty sauce that was perfect served over whole wheat pasta (another healthy substitute I make without the hubs noticing!).


In addition to spaghetti, I served a fresh garden salad and our favorite bread with garlic and herb dipping oils, seasoning and Parmesan cheese.



Overall, it was an easy evening, but a definite success. The food was great, but the company was even better! 

Are there any "almost homemade" meals you love to make?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm impressed with your sauce! Pancake night was a hit with the kid, but not very impressive. I am going to the store today for the next week and a half and tonight is Deluxe Mac n Cheese casserole night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great Betty. That is so hilarious about sneaking the veggies in. I'm lucky that Paul will eat pretty much anything I put in front of him but he'd still rather not know every ingredient all the same.

    One alternative to putting the turkey mince/ground turkey (I think they are the same thing) into the sauce is to add some chopped onion, herbs and a little flour to it (only if needed) and make meatballs. You can either bake them and add them to the sauce afterwards or make them quite small and cook it in the sauce itself. I usually make a batch of meatballs and burgers this way and freeze them. I sometimes add chopped chilli too if we fancy them spicy. Turkey is also WAY fewer calories and fat than beef which is always good!

    Love your new blog by the way! ;)

    ReplyDelete