Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Pretty, Prissy Scones

As you all know, my monthly dinner calendar has been slightly thrown off kilter with the death of Michael's Bushi. (Monday leftovers, Tuesday tomato soup/leftovers, Wednesday dinner with the family.) Until I get back on track, hopefully tomorrow, here's a sweet filler for you!


Back story: This past August, my dear friend Rachel was days away from marrying the love of her life, an Irish chap named James. As a bachelorette party gift, a few of us decided to continue the celebration with a spa day. After a morning filled with massages and facials at a local spa, the four of us headed to my house for a champagne brunch. In addition to mimosas and omelets, I served some scrumptious white chocolate-raspberry scones. Sadly, I did not print out that recipe. When Rachel asked me for it, I scoured the Internet for a comparable substitute. When I served mine, I used a royal icing with almond extract as a glaze. 


A short time later, here are we girls celebrating the day:


Here's the recipe:


White Chocolate Raspberry Scones

Ingredients

  • 1 3/4 C. all-purpose flour
  • 3 Tbs. sugar
  • 3/4 C. frozen unsweetened raspberries (do not thaw)
  • 2/3 C. white baking chips
  • 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/3 C. firm butter or margarine
  • 1 lg. egg, beaten
  • 1/2 tsp. almond extract
  • 1/2 C. heavy whipping cream
  • additional whipping cream
  • white course sugar crystals or granulated sugar

Directions

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

In large bowl, mix flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder and salt. Cut in butter, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in egg, vanilla,currants and just enough of the 4 to 6 tablespoons whipping cream so dough leaves side of bowl.

Place dough on lightly floured surface; gently roll in flour to coat. On ungreased cookie sheet, roll or pat dough into 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges with sharp knife that has been dipped in flour, but do not separate wedges. Brush with additional whipping cream; sprinkle with sugar crystals.

Bake 18 to 23 minutes or until light golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet; carefully separate wedges. Serve warm.

1 comment:

  1. This site is cute! I like the mention of my Irish "chap." Not sure if they have all the ingredients here, but now I know what to look for! I'm hoping to make these soon.

    ReplyDelete