Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Month of Dinners-Day 3-Breaded Pork Chops

When I was assembling our menu for the month, I almost didn't put this recipe on the schedule. I've always been hesitant about pork. You see, my mom never really made pork when we were kids, and the first time I remember trying pork roast it was SUPER dry. 

Nothing against "the other white meat," but it is intimidating. That's right. My name is Betty, and I'm intimidated by pork. 

Facing my fear, I put pork chops on the menu, and not only that, but I scheduled it for the first week. Here's the recipe and pictures. As always, the modifications, tips for next time, and the verdict are at the end. :)


Breaded Pork Chops
Ingredients
  • 4 boneless pork loin chops, 3/4-inch thick
  •  2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil


Directions
In small bowl, combine flour, salt, paprika and pepper. In another small bowl, combine egg and Worcestershire sauce. 


Coat chops with seasoned flour

Dip in egg mixture

Coat with breadcrumbs

In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chops on one side until golden brown (about 4 minutes); turn and continue cooking for another 4 minutes. Serve hot.


Not only were these pork chops served hot, they were also served with mashed red potatoes (courtesy of Ore Ida Steam n' Mash--after all, I'm still a working girl!) and green beans.
Modifications
-I realized AFTER I started making dinner that I was out of paprika, so I used a tad of pork rub instead.
-You really ONLY need 2 Tbsp. of flour for this recipe and probably only 1/4-1/3 c. of bread crumbs. I was surprised at how little it took to coat all four of the chops!
-I don't even buy vegetable oil. I only use olive oil in cooking and canola when baking.

Changes for next time
-Use paprkia
-Don't keep the pan on high. I would definitely get the oil hot, but I would use medium-low heat instead of medium-high. One side of this batch of chops got a tad too crispy for my liking.
-I didn't use a non-stick/dark pan. I don't know how/if this would change cook time.

The verdict
-Betty-1 Pork-0--I rocked this recipe. It was quick, easy, and the PERFECT meal for two! 
-Michael said, "I give this a 99! I'd be a 100 if I had gravy!"

--I'm not a gravy lover. If anyone has a good recipe for gravy, let me know! 

1 comment:

  1. My mom makes some good pork chops and potatoes using chicken Shake n Bake and puts them in the oven. Super easy as well.

    ReplyDelete